Building permits - Do you have one for your new pool

Building permits – Do you have one for your new pool?

Some of the standard mistakes that people make on the Gold Coast is generally to not get the appropriate kind of building permit or permission ahead of setting up the renovation work or home upgrades. If you are thinking about making changes to your pool, or even add in a pool then ideally this little overview can help point you in the best direction. If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with Absolut Custom Glass on 1300 937 902 and we will more than happy to talk through your fence questions. Depending where exactly you are with your project, you may have to either build a Pool and a Fence, or just a Pool Fence.

If you have to just build a fence, replace the existing one, or update your fence to be compliant, then you may not need a building permit to begin the job. Any new pool fence or safety barrier will have to comply with regulations around height and non-climb zones– you can learn more about it on the Absolut fencing blog or on the qld government website As a rule of thumb with building permits in the Gold Coast and Queensland, you will most likely not need to seek a building development approval if:

  • You are only building a pool fence that will certainly be at the pool safety standard( ie, you can simply be building the fence – you can not build a large shed and claim it as a part of the fence exemption).
  • The fence will not be higher than 2000mm above the ground level,
    OR – if built on a retaining wall or other structure – the fence can not be higher than 2m above the wall or structure,
  • However, if building above 2000mm, it can not be within 1.5 m of a border.
  • The pool barrier is checked by a pool safety inspector for compliance with the pool safety standard. If you are establishing a totally new pool or structure in your backyard, then you will need to go through an approval process from the city council.
    This will often include asking for:
  • Building approval – this is where a building will create plans and specs and after that lodge the intent to build with the local government.
  • Structural soundness assessments this will involve a builder assessing not just the physical structure of the planned pool, but the underlying location that the pool will be installed into. This may involve getting an evaluation from an engineer if the terrain is particularly challenging.
  • Sewerage and water supply approval – this is to ensure that you have approval for a change to your water supply network and any potential disposal consideration. For the most part, your builder will organize all of your permits that you need for constructing a new pool

If you are ever uncertain if they have sought the correct authorizations, don’t hesitate to get in touch with them and ask questions. Any capable builder should be more than happy to speak with you with your needs and make sure that you are happy with the progress of the building job.

From this, we hope you can see how crucial permits and permissions are, and you now understand a bit more about the sorts of questions you will need to ask before you start any type of construction – whether through a builder or if it is a DIY job. If you have any questions about permits, approvals, fencing installations, or DIY Pool Fencing – please don’t hesitate to contact Absolut Custom glass with all of your Gold Coast and South East Queensland Pool Fencing questions. You can reach Absolut Custom Glass on 1300 937 902

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top